History of the Eldon Public Library

In the early 20th Century, the town of Eldon was looking forward to continuing growth as a railroad town.  A group was able to secure enough funds through fund raising and contributions to rent an upstairs room in a local business and in 1906 open Eldon's first library.  In 1908, the library association was incorporated under state law and at that time support was secured from the city for maintenance of the institution.  In 1911, correspondence was begun with Andrew Carnegie in hopes of securing a donation to construct a permanent library building. When all of his specifications were met, he agreed to donate $7,500 and the plans went ahead for the construction of our library. The dedication service was held on May 9, 1913 at the Eldon Christian Church.  On October 15, 1996 this wonderful building was recognized and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

What we look like

If you are interested in more history.....

Carnegie Libraries in Iowa Project

Iowa Historical Society

Andrew Carnegie

This resource is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by State Library of Iowa.