By - Laws
Eldon Carnegie Public Library
The following shall be the by-laws of the Eldon Public Library, its Board of Trustees, Director, and those administering the business of the Library. These by-laws supercede all previous ones.
I. Board of Trustees
A. According to the requirements of Ordinance Chapter 2.44, City of Eldon, the Board of Trustees of the Eldon Public Library shall consist of five (5) members.
1. When a vacancy occurs, the existing Board of Trustees shall select a person known to be interested in accomplishing the goals of the Library and recommend such person to the mayor and City Council for approval.
2. Six (6) consecutive absences from regular meetings by a member of the Board of Trustees shall constitute a resignation.
a. A person having served a period of six (6) years as a member of the Board of Trustees shall be considered an Honorary member after resignation.
B. The general powers and duties of the Board of Trustees of the Eldon Public Library are outlined in Chapter 378 of the Code of Iowa and the Library Ordinance of the City of Eldon.
C. The Board shall exercise its powers and duties by:
1. Employing a competent and qualified director.
2. Cooperating with the director in determining and adopting written policies to govern the operation and program of the library, including personel policies and policies governing the selection of library materials, supplies and equipment.
3. Reporting to and cooperating with other public officials, boards, and the community as a whole to support a public relations program for the library.
4. Assisting in the preparation of and seeking support for the annual budget.
5. Developing long-range goals for the library and working toward their achievement.
All appointments to the board shall be for six (6) years, except to fill vacancies. Each term shall commence on July 1st. Appointments shall be made every two (2) years of one-third the total number of members, as near as possible, to stagger the terms.
A. The officers of the Board shall consist of a President, Vice-President and a Secretary/Treasurer. Their terms shall be for one (1)year. Officers shall be elected at the annual meeting and hold office until their successors are elected and installed. Officers may succeed themselves in office.
B. The duties of all officers shall be such as by custom and law and the rules of this board usually devolved upon such officers in accordance with their titles.
A. The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Eldon Public Library shall be held the last Thursday of the each month at 4:00PM at the library.
B. The annual meeting will be held in July each year.
C. Special meetings may be held at the call of the President, the Secretary,or any two (2) Board members; provided that notice thereof is given to all Trustees at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance.
D. A quorum at any meeting shall consist of three (3) or more members.
E. Order of business:
Reading and approval of the minutes of previous meeting
Correspondence and communications
Financial report and expenditures
F. An agenda for Board meetings shall be prepared by the Director in cooperation with the President of the Board.
G. All meetings of the Board are open to members of the public who wish to observe. Non- board members who wish to address the board should request a place on the agenda not later than twenty-four (24) hours before the time established for the meeting. The request may be directed to the President, Secretary, or the director.
H. Roberts Rules of Order shall govern in the parliamentary procedure of the board.
A. The President of the Board may appoint special committees as needed from time to time.
VI. The Director
A. The director shall be the executive director of the policies adopted by the Board. Among his/her duties and responsibilities shall be:
1. To select library materials.
2. To maintain and operate the library.
3. To train members of the staff.
4. To assist the Board in filling any vacancies.
5. To inform the board continually and completely regarding finances, public services, library building, equipment, and property, personnel, collection and other developments, changes and/or problems of the library.
6. The director shall be in attendance at all meetings of the Board, except those at which tenure or salary is to be discussed or decided.
The Bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of the Board provided written notice of such amendment is sent to all members at least ten days prior to the regular meeting at which such action is to be taken.
Revised November 2007
Approved December 2007
Due for revision December 2010
Revised November 2012
Approved December 2012