In the early 20th Century, the town of Eldon was looking forward to continuing growth as a railroad town. In 1906, a group of residents was able to secure enough funds through fund raising and contributions to rent an upstairs room in a local business and open Eldon's first library. In 1908, the library association was incorporated under state law, and at that time support was secured from the city for maintenance of the institution.
In 1911, correspondence was begun with Andrew Carnegie in hopes of securing a donation to construct a permanent library building. When all of his specifications were met, he agreed to donate $7,500 and the plans went ahead for the construction of the library. The dedication service was held on May 9, 1913 at the Eldon Christian Church. On October 15, 1996 this wonderful building was recognized and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.